D.O.C Pizza & Mozzarella Bar, Carlton

I mentioned that the queue at Mamasita is one of the worst in Melbourne, but yet the wait that night was not even a quarter of the wait at D.O.C Pizza and Mozzarella Bar in Carlton. There’s a good reason for that. We went to D.O.C. on a busy Friday night at 7pm without a booking. Yes, we went to a popular pizza restaurant on the busiest night of the week with a group of 8 with no booking. Now how’s that for silly. Anyway, we waited outside for over an hour before we were finally seated, and then waited another half an hour before the food came out.

The only thing that kept us entertained was the small window next to the door where we could see a young chef making salads and entrees. I was also personally interested in the meats and cheeses in the glass counter just inside the restaurant.

We ordered 7 pizzas between us as recommended by the waiter and it was the perfect amount, with everything finished clean and stomaches full and content. The first pizza to arrive was the Napoletana (below right – $18.90) with San Marzano tomato, mozzarella, anchovy & olive. Not by any means bad, it wasn’t my favourite out of all the others as it was a tiny bit salty from the anchovies and was what I thought a bit one dimensional.

The other pizza that I didn’t enjoy as much was the San Daniele with San Marzano tomato, D.O.P buffalo mozzarella, D.O.P San Daniele Prosciutto (below left – $22.90). Individually, the ingredients were quite nice as D.O.C is famous for their mozzarella cheese and good prosciutto, but my personal preference is having many layers of flavours. People who like simple pizzas with less toppings, you may like this one.

The Salsiccia ($20.50) with Leo’s sausage (I’m guessing its the brand of the sausage), cream of broccoli and mozzarella was a lovely creamy pizza with a good amount of veggie hit, not a common occurrence on pizzas. It was a thick layer of topping that created a perfect harmony of flavours to which we all enjoyed immensely.

My equal favourite of the night was the Porcini ($22.90) and we ordered 2 of these. It consisted of wild mushrooms, truffle oil, mozzarella in blanco with grated D.O.P pecorino. How can I NOT like a pizza with mushrooms and truffle oil? I would have been happy with just truffle oil on top and nothing else. Truffles are just the most fragrant and delicious ingredients out there, not to mention one of the most expensive.

I said equal favourite for the Porcini but really I think I may have liked the special order the most. We wanted to order 2 specials, one was zucchini flower pizza and the other a homemade sausage and fennel. We were told they were not available and so ordered 2 specially made pizzas instead. It had mozzarella, figs and prosciutto. I couldn’t believe just how lovely the sweetness of the figs were with the buffalo mozzarella. I made sure I had a few pieces of this pizza.

I was a glutton that night, an absolute glutton. We all shared 7 pizzas, but Yuye and I also ordered a D.O.C antipasto platter just for the 2 of us. I just couldn’t help myself after 1 whole hour of gawking at the platters going out from behind that counter.

I was in L.O.V.E with the huge buffalo mozzarella and the baked fig. They have officially become my two favourite foods now.

The remaining ingredients on the platter such as the cured meats, olives and pickled artichoke was nice, but not as spectacular as the mozzarella and fig.

Although we had to wait for a LONG time for our meal, we still enjoyed it in the end. The main take away from that experience is never go to a popular restaurant on Friday night again without making a booking, and that buffalo mozzarella and figs are the best.

I can see why D.O.C is so high on Urbanspoon’s popular restaurants chart and why so many people are raving about this place. It’s because of their near perfect pizza bases, aromatic tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and other beautiful flavour combinations that make the dining experience so unforgettable (and the long wait was quite unforgettable too).

Question time: What is your favourite pizza topping? Are you willing to wait an hour for a good meal?

D.O.C. Pizza & Mozzarella Bar
Phone: (03) 9347 2998
295 Drummond St Carlton VIC 3053

D.O.C. Pizza and Mozzarella Bar on Urbanspoon

• choux choux May 27, 2012, 12:06 am

OMG THIS PLACE LOOKS AMAZING! I don’t know if I could wait as long as you guys did! I don’t think I have a favourite pizza topping. I guess if I had to choose it would be cheese haha :) The cheese and baked fig look so good! I’m so hungry now!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 5:50 pm

I didn’t really want to wait for that long either…it was cold and boring :( But there were 8 of us so didn’t really want to go anywhere else with the chance of also having to wait there…
      Cheese on pizza sounds good :D

• Deanna May 27, 2012, 3:45 am

My favorite pizza topping is a runny egg. I’m not picky about what else is on it as long as there is a runny egg.

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 9:00 pm

Wow I’ve never had a pizza with a runny egg on it, that sounds like the most fantastic pizza ever! I must find it at a restaurant, or else will have to make it myself. :D

• Hannah May 27, 2012, 12:53 pm

These are the kind of pizzas that make me feel silly for always saying I don’t like pizza! :P But, even now, I kinda want the baked fig the most!!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 9:01 pm

Aww I never really liked pizza before either, but I’m having better and better pizzas these days that I’ve changed my mind. :D

• Ames May 27, 2012, 3:49 pm

I guess if you had a good company the wait would be bearable… I quite like salmon on pizza or pineapple or both together hehe but I must admit that you have made the figs and buffalo mozzarella sound very tempting :D.

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 9:04 pm

Yeah company was not bad so I guess it was ok, but didn’t help when everyone was hungry…I think salmon on pizza’s great too!

• Lucy (Beyond Bourke Street) May 27, 2012, 8:12 pm

My favourite pizza topping is Hawaiian. I know, so vulgar, right? xD I’m an ‘instant gratification’ kind of person, so if I have to wait for an hour the meal had better be EXCELLENT, and I have to have something to munch on while I stand in line.

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 9:37 pm

No it’s not! I love Hawaiian too and I know plenty of people who do. :D Yeah I’m kind of like you too, the meal at DOC would have been a LOT better for me if I didn’t have to wait that long, but I can’t really blame them because we’re the ones who didn’t book. :(

• Food is our religion May 27, 2012, 8:51 pm

Their pizzas look so epic! I always love a good dose of eggplant and salami on mine!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 9:38 pm

The tasted pretty epic too :) Oooo yes eggplant is lovely on pizza and can’t do without salami!

• Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 27, 2012, 10:00 pm

Those pizzas look amazing! In fact it’s now morning where I am and all I want is pizza!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 11:50 pm

I see you’re away on one of your adventures again Lorraine, I’m sure you’ll be eating lots of things even better than pizza there! :D

• Thyme (Sarah) May 27, 2012, 10:13 pm

Wow. What incredible pizzas. The variety of amazing. I, too, LOVE mushrooms on pizza…and truffle oil~delicious. What a fabulous restaurant and a fun night out with your friends!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 11:52 pm

I love mushrooms on pizzas as well, but I find that the figs are even better now :P And I love truffles :D

• Karen (Back Road Journal) May 27, 2012, 10:25 pm

When you are with friends, time seems to pass by quickly. I would have enjoyed the mushroom and truffle pizza. Love the earthy flavor that truffle oil adds to food.

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 11:53 pm

I totally agree, truffle oil makes just about any dish that much better. It’s that smell that hits my nose first and makes me more hungry!

• Hotly Spiced May 27, 2012, 10:28 pm

That is such a long time to wait for a table but the pizzas do look so authentic and delicious. Great that there was a little window where you at least had something to look at xx

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 11:54 pm

It was a long wait indeed…but the pizzas were great so I guess it was worth it…although I wouldn’t do it again :P Will make a booking next time.

• Baker Street May 27, 2012, 11:08 pm

The pizza surely looks worth the wait! I would be sure to save a slice for breakfast! Great post! :)

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 27, 2012, 11:55 pm

Too bad we ate it all so I couldn’t take some back with me, but I’m pretty sure they do takeaway, maybe that’s an option next time if we don’t manage to get a table!

• Winston May 27, 2012, 11:55 pm

Oh my gosh! I still remember how delicious the wild mushrooms on the Porcini was… SENSATIONAL! And tough luck about the wait here. Thanks for the reminder to always make a booking! I enjoy the antipasto here very very much too. Man it’s been too long, gotta come back soon. Thanks for your review/reminder!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 28, 2012, 12:01 am

No problems. :D I feel like going back too! It was a wonderful experience, minus the wait of course.

• Victoria of Flavors of the Sun May 28, 2012, 12:31 am

Jenny, your photos make all of the pizzas look tempting, but I do like to hear your individual assessments. That is one beautiful meat slicer! I agree that the cheese and deli section looks most interesting!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 28, 2012, 2:06 am

I agree about the meat slicer, I actually have one at home but this one looks way sexier. ;) I loved it whenever someone ordered pizzas with prosciutto as they had to use the slicer…

• Nava Krishnan May 28, 2012, 12:40 am

Lovely pizzas as I seen from the pic and the best for me will be the porcini. One of a kind and I have never had or noticed the same over at my place.

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 28, 2012, 2:06 am

The porcini was certainly very lovely. I adore truffle oil and anything truffle flavoured. :)

• Tania @ A Perfect Pantry May 28, 2012, 10:00 am

Such delicious looking pizzas… what a gorgeous little place. I will have to try it out next time I’m in that area:)

• Nami | Just One Cookbook May 28, 2012, 6:27 pm

My gosh… just imagining figs and mozzarella and prosciutto? I wish I can make that at home! Or find a place they serve this! I’ve been eating b-day pizzas at kids b-day parties and I just lost appetite for eating pizzas in general. But now my craving for GOOD pizza just came back! What a nice place~~~~!

• D.O.C. Pizza May 29, 2012, 1:03 pm

Hi Jenny! Love the review you gave us, and the photos look amazing. You are welcome back anytime bella x

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 29, 2012, 3:40 pm

You’re very welcome. It was a fantastic experience and I can see why it’s so popular! Will definitely be back again.