Rose Garden, Melbourne – cheap Asian fare

After our visit to the Luna 1878 festival the other night, we decided against lining up for our food so made our way to the nearby Rose Garden, which serves up big dishes of delicious Asian cuisine. It’s one of the few cheap Asian restaurants that have a high rating on Urbanspoon and that says something.

Even on a Wednesday night, there were almost no free tables available. As we had 7 people to cater for (but thankfully 3 people had yet to arrive), we were able to be seated at a free table, while waiting for the patrons directly next to us to finish their meal. Kenneth is a regular visitor here and he recommended the fried rice with shredded duck & preserved vegetables for $9.80. I usually don’t order fried rice dishes at restaurants because I find them quite easy to make at home and often they’re not cooked well anyway but I decided to give this a go. I wasn’t disappointed.

The dish was SO big that I really struggled to finish it. In the end I left a bit less than half for Kenneth to finish. For a dish so cheap, I was surprised the restaurant wasn’t stingy with giving you duck meat in the dish. The rice was also very fragrant and the preserved veggies went very well with the tasty duck.

Yuye ordered yet another duck dish – the roast duck on rice ($9) was very nice as well, although I would have liked the skin to be a bit more crispy. It wasn’t as oily and was well made.

We called our combination of dishes ‘double duck’…yes we were being silly…

Kenneth himself ordered another one of the top recommended dishes – the spicy chicken ribs on rice for $9.00. Although I didn’t taste the dish, I could tell that the chicken was well made as it didn’t look all that oily and the colour of the chicken was nice and light.

I would totally recommend getting the fresh coconut juice (roughly $4.80) which comes in a real coconut! It was so refreshing and deliciously coconutty and subtly sweet that I didn’t hesitate to drink Sat’s after he said he couldn’t finish it. I also used a spoon to dig out all the coconut flesh from inside which tasted like coconut jelly or pudding. It was a fantastic drink to go with the slightly oily and heavy dishes. This drink was a special on the wall so not on the regular drinks menu.

Overall a great and very cheap meal which I would recommend to all of you who like to dine on a budget. Just make sure to leave a bit of time for lining up if you’re planning to go as it can get quite busy at peak dining times.

Rose Garden BBQ
Phone: (03) 93291560
435 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3000

Rose Garden BBQ on Urbanspoon

• yummychunklet August 17, 2012, 2:56 am

Those dishes look huge!

• Ed August 17, 2012, 11:00 am

Girl in bottom RH corner of photo 1 is you :P

• Ames August 17, 2012, 1:20 pm

I’ve heard really good things about Rose Garden but yet to visit! Love the sound of fresh coconut juice right now!

• Asmita August 17, 2012, 2:18 pm

After seeing these photos, I am ravenous. The food looks awesome!

• Choc Chip Uru August 17, 2012, 8:44 pm

Mmmm, this food looks fantastic and for not too much cost as well? Wow, eat-a-thon :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• choux choux August 18, 2012, 12:14 am

I’ve been to Thai Culinary and Coconut House but I’ve never been to Rose Garden coz it’s always packed! Glad to hear it’s worth the wait. I’m such a sucker for spicy chicken ribs and the duck looks amazing. I’m the same as you with fried rice. I just can’t justify ordering fried rice when it’s so easy to make at home.

• Libby @ theveryveryhungrycaterpillar.com August 18, 2012, 11:22 am

I can vouch for the chicken ribs on rice here but have never had the duck fried rice – need to try it!

• msihua August 18, 2012, 12:59 pm

After hearing so many good things about Rose Garden, I still have yet to go! I can’t keep up with all these great places to visit!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 18, 2012, 7:59 pm

I’ve heard so many things about Rose Garden yet haven’t had the chance to visit :) it reminds me so much of Pacific BBQ in Richmond but CHEAPER YAY!

• Hayley August 19, 2012, 3:11 am

I’ve been visiting this place for twice but havent get the chance to try what you have recommended! On my list to try on next time!

• Ming @ sweetandsourfork August 22, 2012, 11:17 pm

Oh rose garden, the only place where fried rice isn’t just cheap pointless filler <3 (I'm a bit behind on the blog reading as you can probably tell :p)