Brother Baba Budan, Melbourne – my new favourite coffee place

I think I have just found my most favourite coffee place in Melbourne. I know I’m a bit slow in the discovery as the rest of Melbourne found it quite some time ago, but I can say right now that Brother Baba Budan has made it to the top of my coffee list.

I’ve been putting off visiting this great little cafe for a few reasons. Number 1 is that it’s in the CBD, and CBD means hard to park, too many people, too far from home and various others, but also because it only serves coffee. I usually like to have brunch with a cup of coffee so not having food is a bit of a downside for me, although I don’t mind grabbing a coffee from BBB on my way to a brunch place at all.

Like most people, the first thing I notice when I walk in is the whole ceiling full of wooden chairs suspended, looking like all the chairs have somehow warped up there or have been sucked there by some invisible force. It’s too bad I wouldn’t be able to just reach for one when I need to sit down…

BBB uses Seven Seeds beans like many coffee places around Melbourne, but for some reason their brewing skills are so super that they can make the same beans taste a whole lot smoother and aromatic.

They also have the nicest walls and decor. I’m in love with the vintage/rustic trend, so much so that I want my house to be like that (which I know Yuye would never agree to).

The cafe is quite small, so I see many people getting their coffees take away. When we entered, the small communal table was fully taken, same with the small amount of space available at the counter. I hardly had any space to stand let alone sit. Luckily a few people left from the counter and thus I was able to have my coffee in proper cups.

Yuye ordered a latte which was so smooth, creamy and so beautiful I felt like I wanted to steal it from him.

I ordered a cappuccino which was equally as delicious and I felt so satisfied. It was made exponentially better when I was able to take the photo of it on that oh-so-vintage table by the entrance. Don’t you just love that peeled paint look? For some reason, I love it.

I’m craving for BBB’s coffees a lot more now, something I won’t be getting for quite some time. Currently my cousin is in Australia for his honeymoon and he’s requested for me to be their tour guide. This means I will be quite busy and very very tired every day for the next 2 weeks. I will be flying interstate to many locations and even hiring a car to drive around in Tasmania. Hopefully I will be able to take a lot of beautiful photos and introduce all of you non-Aussies to this wonderful country. So for that, I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t post anything for days at a time…I will get right back into it after 5th October. :)

Brother Baba Budan
359 Little Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000

Brother Baba Budan on Urbanspoon

• Alex September 24, 2012, 5:28 pm

Lovely place! And as a non-Aussie, must say: “I can’t wait to see your photos and read everything about the places you’ll be visiting.” Wish I could go there, too. :)

• Em September 25, 2012, 9:18 am

If you need any tips on Tassie let me know, I grew up there.

• Choc Chip Uru September 25, 2012, 7:05 pm

Oh wow, if you say its good, I believe you :D
    Love the decor!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• kitchenriffs September 27, 2012, 11:36 am

Those chair hanging from the ceiling are great! Looks like a fun place. Have a great time being a tour guide, and we’re all eagerly awaiting your return to blogging. We want to see all the pictures you took while away from your blog!

• Nami | Just One Cookbook September 27, 2012, 2:26 pm

You sure make me crave for delicious high quality cappuccino!!! This place sounds nice – I’m sure we’ll hear more about this place in the future. :)

• Ming @ sweetandsourfork September 27, 2012, 5:57 pm

One thing: best coffee ever. I love how the blends change from day to day so you never get the same thing twice. your photos did turn out better than mine though; I have got to get around to putting that up!

• Ames September 27, 2012, 6:31 pm

I’ve only ever had one coffee here and that was with a friend from Perth who LOVED her coffee and dragged me there. Back then I didn’t really have an appreciation for coffee so I should probably visit again to give it a proper review try :)

• Libby September 27, 2012, 7:44 pm

Ahh so that’s why you’re in Cairns!

BBB is one of my fave places to grab a coffee in the city. Must go there again!

• JasmyneTea September 28, 2012, 6:49 pm

Looks great! I have yet to find that perfect cup of coffee in Sydney, but Circa has come pretty close.

• Brendan September 29, 2012, 9:46 pm

A friend and I went looking for this place and ended up at Manchester Press instead. The funny thing is after talking to somebody else who had been I realised I was right out the front of it when I was looking to my phone for the map. Haha.

Captains of Industry is right around the corner there too. It’s like a red light district of hipster coffee.

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake September 30, 2012, 6:35 am

Hahaha I like that! I agree, definitely the red light district of hipster coffee ;) but its funny how you couldn’t find the place even though you had your GPS :P

• tastyfoodsnaps September 30, 2012, 6:02 pm

love the coffee art on the cappuccino :)