Pappa Rich (QV), Melbourne – another Malaysian hawker restaurant

The Malaysian eateries craze has taken Melbourne by storm. Restaurants and cafes are opening up everywhere and in hoards, one of which is Pappa Rich which has opened in QV, Chadstone and Doncaster. This is another moment where I have to admit that I’m not a good foodie. As I don’t go to the city often, I didn’t even know it existed until about a month ago when my non-foodie friend exclaimed to me excitedly ‘have you been to Pappa Rich yet? It’s fantastic!’. And sure enough, a day or 2 later, we were there.

Luckily, a few friends had already lined up so we were able to get a table reasonably quickly (for me anyway). As it was already past 8pm and it was still reasonably chilly outside, I wanted to minimise the queue time as much as possible. If you’ve been to Pappa Rich, you’d understand and what makes it worse is they, like many popular restaurants around Melbourne, (like Mamasita and Chin Chin) don’t take reservations.

Pappa Rich has an extensive menu consisting of popular hawker style foods, although some of the more classic dishes available elsewhere are seemingly different or missing altogether. They use a ‘write your own order’ type system where the onus is on the patron to get the order right. This is similar to yum cha restaurants across Asia where dishes are marked on paper to prevent wrong orders being taken by the waiter and possibly to prevent complaints.

I loved the drinks menu as the choices seemed endless. I opted for the Teh C Special ($3.90) which is a 3 layered milk tea drink made with red tea, evaporated milk, black sugar and ice. It’s a very refreshing drink that I can scull down in one go and then order one more! It’s more refreshing and delicious than regular milk tea in my opinion.

Yuye ordered the soya milk with black sesame ice cream float ($5.80) at my request of course. The soya milk itself was not sweetened at all so you had to mix some of the ice cream into it to make it taste like anything. Of course there are those who like their soya milk plain but I like it with some sugar. The ice cream was quite nice, although I would probably eat it separately.

The recommendation in terms of food choice is to pick dishes with roti or bread as PappaRich is good at making their roti. After tasting it, I would totally agree. Yuye ordered a roti telur with curry chicken ($10.50) which he chowed down most of before I even took a good look at it. I did manage to taste a little in the end and I loved it. The roti was soft and chewy with a faint aroma that I loved dearly. It was perfect to soak up the curry sauces which came with the curry chicken in the middle, a very chilli variety on the left and a slightly sweet version on the right.

Kenneth and Arch both ordered the roti planta ($6.50) as an extra (boys sure can eat a lot) which came with the 3 curry sauces and a sweet roti. I was a bit hesitant to dip sweet roti in curry sauce as I’ve never been a fan of mixing sweet with savoury, but it was surprisingly good. I will remember to order this again next time I visit!

I ordered the biryani rice red chicken and prawns ($11.90) which I thought looked more spectacular than it tasted. The chicken was meant to be chewy and sweet which it was, but I thought it was a bit too hard and chewy for me. The prawns had sambal paste on it but it was a bit plain and not as aromatic as other sambals I’ve tasted. Overall, I’d have rather ordered a roti dish.

Sat’s chicken curry laksa ($10.90) had deep fried chicken pieces which looked quite hard to chew as well and I didn’t understand why they put a piece of mint as garnish. However, as I didn’t try the dish I can’t comment how it tasted.

Racheese came late but after she ordered, the food came out almost at the same time as the rest of us. However, her Hainanese chicken was slightly dry and the rice noodles were bland. It definitely wasn’t the best dish of the night.

Overall there was a few hit and misses at Pappa Rich, however, I love both the savoury and sweet rotis as well as the drinks. If you visit, I would highly recommend ordering one of the roti dishes instead of the other dishes.

Pappa Rich (QV)
Phone: (03) 9654 2682
Level 2, Shop 11, QV Square, 210 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000

PappaRich QV on Urbanspoon

• Choc Chip Uru September 15, 2012, 6:35 pm

I could never get sick of Malaysian cuisine it is actually perfect :D
    This looks utterly delicious my friend, especially the sound of sweet rotis!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• Ali September 15, 2012, 10:34 pm

I haven’t to Melbourne very often, but the times I have, I have noticed the line-ups outside. It is quite different to in Adelaide! But, similar to in North America….reservations are not common, you just go and wait! I love Malaysian food…your photos are great :)

• yummychunklet September 16, 2012, 5:06 am

That ice cream does look delicious on its own!

• Asmita September 16, 2012, 5:56 am

I love Malaysian food. All the food here, looks amazing!!!

• Parsley Sage September 16, 2012, 9:58 am

Kind of drives me a little nuts that restaurants don’t take reservations some times. Ippudo in NYC is the same way…we waited for 2 hours. Although, it was TOTALLY worth it. This place looks worth a bit of a wait too :) Loving those floats!

• Libby September 16, 2012, 9:09 pm

My first visit to Pappa Rich (in Doncaster) was a bit underwhelming, but I went again last weekend (parents wanted to go) and found the food to be a little bit better. I think you just have to know what to order. We did like the roti dishes and my mum loved her hor fun. I would rather get nasi lemak and laksa elsewhere though. I agree with you re: the no reservations thing. When we rocked up at 6:45pm last Sunday, we were told that there would be a half an hour wait which, under normal circumstances, would have just resulted in me leaving (not worth it) but again, my parents really wanted to eat here so we did end up waiting.

For a better Malaysian hawker experience, I suggest you give the new Mamak restaurant a go. It’s only a few days old but the roti is just as amazing as the ones they serve at the Mamak restaurant in Sydney and the service I received this afternoon was excellent :)

• kitchenriffs September 17, 2012, 2:53 am

Sounds like a fun place! I’m OK with no reservations – the places that I frequent that don’t take them are all clumped together close to other restaurants I like, so if I can’t get into one, I can get into another.

• Ames September 17, 2012, 4:00 pm

Oh nice! Still yet to head out there but that roti looks very tempting…

• Tania @ A Perfect Pantry September 18, 2012, 12:06 pm

Great restaurant… really like the look of their meals. Plus, I love how they’re served.

• Nami | Just One Cookbook September 18, 2012, 4:25 pm

What, soya milk with black sesame ice cream float? I still have black sesame ice cream in my freezer… :D This place looks really good!!

• Ming @ sweetandsourfork September 18, 2012, 8:51 pm

BAH, I work right near Paparich and I go into the city for uni, but I haven’t been either :( Though I’ve heard such mixed reviews about it (similar to your experience – fantastic roti and sucky everything else) that I’ve been a bit hesitant. Great photos as usual!

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 19, 2012, 7:09 am

This makes me want to pack my bags and run back to Malaysia!! I miss my homeland and it’s famous hawker street foods. Drool.