Plantation Specialty Coffee, Melbourne Central

After I quit my job, I’ve rarely needed to go into the city. As a result I’m not all that familiar with hip and popular coffee joints in the area and feel like I’m really missing out. When I saw Ms I-Hua’s posts about her recommended CBD coffees, I got very excited. It just so happened that the very next day I was at Melbourne Central and Plantation came into the coffee radar.

Plantation is a small but very good coffee shop situated in the newly renovated section of the Melbourne Central food court where people can relax in a bit of peace and quiet away from the crowd that’s s common throughout the complex.

Although the shop is small, it holds a large selection of coffee brewing equipment that’s enough to make any coffee nerds happy. I think one of the baristas probably found me weird because I chose to stare at him intently brewing those coffees over actually ordering my coffee.

That food court being spacious and comfortable isn’t all a good thing believe it or not. It also seemed to attract a lot of homeless people rummaging through leftover food and begging for spare change. A slight nuance for the patrons wishing to just enjoy their cup of coffee or quietly read a book.

One such person unfortunately left a trail of bad odor throughout that whole area and was quite hard to stand. I eventually had to make a very difficult decision of getting my coffee take away, although by the time I actually got my coffee, he had already disappeared. Fortunately for me though, the barista (thank you!) decided to pour me a cute latte art anyway even though it was just in a take away cup. He was even nice enough to hand me the lid without closing it so I could take photos! He could read my mind. :D

He was so good at pouring it that I couldn’t help but stare while he diligently did his job. It looked like love hearts with wings. The latte itself was very smooth, creamy and aromatic, although perhaps I should have asked for a double shot since I really needed some caffeine to wake me up that day.

Plantation is a great place to relax and drink a coffee after a long day of shopping and there’s nothing better than a cup of hot delicious coffee while your feet are resting. It’s also a fantastic spot for meeting up with friends or waiting for that special someone. You might like to pop across the court for some delicious cupcakes from Cupcake Central to go with the coffees as well.

Plantation
Phone: (03) 9654 8758
Shop 253, Melbourne Central, La Trobe Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Plantation on Urbanspoon

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 2, 2012, 12:35 am

I love how your photos are always SO perfect even when it’s take away coffee :) I need lessons from you PLEASE hehe ~ I was really excited with Ms I-Huas posts hehe I’ve grabbed coffee from Plantation a few times because LOL I always get one when I go to CUPCAKE CENTRAL WOO HOO :)

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake September 2, 2012, 12:31 pm

Aww thanks Daisy! It’s half about taking the photo and half about the post processing I think, which means it takes a lot of time! :(

I should have gotten a cupcake to go with the coffee..I was seriously thinking about it when I was sitting there but I was so full from lunch then…next time!

• yummychunklet September 2, 2012, 8:49 am

Fun looking cafe!

• Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Beautiful photos of the coffee-even a coffee looks great when you photograph it!

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake September 2, 2012, 12:32 pm

Thanks Lorraine. :D Coffees are quite photogenic in my opinion, when the art is so good. ;)

• Carolyn Jung September 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

You know you’re in a good place when they take the time to do even the little things right. It shows they care. And that looks like one absolutely perfect cup of coffee.

• Ming @ sweetandsourfork September 2, 2012, 2:25 pm

Oh I love your coffee art photo! I’ve never tried the coffee from there but maybe next time I get cupcakes from cupcake central :D

• Ames September 2, 2012, 9:07 pm

Lovely photos as always :) I will have to pay this place a visit soon :)

• kitchenriffs September 3, 2012, 2:01 am

I agree with Daisy that the photos are great – making simple things look terrific is hard. And I really agree with you about the post processing – although I never do anything really heavy duty in PP, it always seems to take an awful lot of time.

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 3, 2012, 10:05 am

Love cute cafe’s and adorable latte art. Bad odor should be banned. Everywhere.

• Iron Chef Shellie September 3, 2012, 9:02 pm

haha I agree with Daisy, even takeaway coffee is pretty in your photos!
    Ahhhhh I feel like I should start drinking and appreciating coffee!