Kiwi and honey sorbet

Before this week, I’ve only used my ice cream maker at most 3-4 times and I’ve had this ice cream maker for many years now. I’m not sure what the sudden change is but I’ve managed to make 3 ice creams in the past 4 days. That’s almost 1 litre of ice cream a day! Even though the weather is getting a little warmer, making that many ice creams is getting insane. Or is it?

Not for the ice cream lovers it’s not! I’ve already had requests from various friends and blogger friends to come over and ‘help’ me eat them so I suppose at least they’ll find good people to feed. :P I may have to send out invitations soon since I’m running out of freezer space to fit them all and I still have plans to make more!

There’s something oddly satisfying watching that churner go. It’s hard to contain my excitement when I see little ice particles form in my runny ice cream mixture and then finally seeing it turn into ice cream form. Is it the same for you or am I just strange?

Not just churning ice creams, that’s not going to do it for me anymore, not alone anyway. I just bought a Norpro icy pole mould from Amazon which I’ve seen many bloggers use, plus 1000 wooden sticks to go with it. It looks so easy and the icy poles have this beautiful classic look about them. I love the fact that I can use wooden sticks with them instead of the usual plastic reusable bottoms that come with many moulds these days. I’m always so excited waiting for a package to arrive and this time it’s going to arrive around my birthday! Double the excitement. :D

Since I had many kiwi fruits sitting there, some of which were quite ripe, and the task of eating them all seemed a bit daunting, I thought it was a good idea to make it into a sorbet instead. Instead of the usual sugar, I decided to add part honey and part sugar for a more rounded and deeper taste. It’s also because I just bought a 1kg of honey.

I can feel a fantastic Summer coming, full of wonderful ice creams and icy poles. It’s too bad I’m spending almost half of it in wintery China again, but of course for a good cause since my grandma is turning 99!

I used yuzu liqueur (a Japanese citrus fruit) which I bought in Tokyo, although the amount I put in didn’t make too much difference to the ice cream mixture. This of course you can leave out.

Question time: Do you have an ice cream maker? Do you use it often? Do you prefer ice creams or sorbets?

Kiwi and honey sorbet
Makes about 1 litre of sorbet

Ingredients

• 8 ripe kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
• 5 tbsp honey (add more or less, depending on how sour your kiwis are and how sweet you like it – remember the mixture always tastes more sweet than when it’s frozen)
• 2/3 cup (180g) sugar
• Juice of 1 lemon (roughly 2 tbsp)
• 2/3 cup (180ml) water
• 2 tbsp yuzu liqueur (optional)

instructions

1. Blend diced kiwi fruit in a food processor until pulp is smooth. Set aside in a large bowl.
2. Combine water, honey and sugar in a small saucepan and heat on medium high, stirring until all the honey and sugar has been dissolved.
3. Cool the sugar mixture slightly before adding it to the kiwi fruit. Also add in lemon juice and yuzu liqueur and mix thoroughly.
4. Cool the sorbet mixture completely.
5. Add mixture to an ice cream maker and churn for roughly 20 minutes or until the desired consistency.
6. Transfer to a container and freeze for at least 3 hours before consuming.

• Rosa October 30, 2012, 6:06 pm

Heavenly! This sorbet looks so good. A pity, I feel more like eating soup at the moment (it is quite cold here)… ;-)

Cheers,

Rosa

• tastyfoodsnaps October 30, 2012, 7:28 pm

yum, great choice of fruit! ive never had kiwi sorbet yet, loving the bright colour!

• choux choux October 30, 2012, 9:33 pm

OMG this looks amazing! We have an ice cream maker but I’ve only used it probably 3 times in my life. I’ve always made ice cream with it so I should try making a sorbet next. Wow 99 years old! That’s incredible! Happy birthday to your grandma :)

• Mae October 30, 2012, 10:17 pm

Hi Jenny!

Love your posts! Your pictures always make me drool…. I wanted to ask, where could I get some of that yuzu liqueur?

THanks!

• Girlnpurpledres October 31, 2012, 9:27 am

Beautiful photos! And it is a lot of sorbet to make but it just means you will need to invite your friends over for a sorbet party :) Happy Halloween!

• yummychunklet October 31, 2012, 11:32 am

How pretty!

• ross October 31, 2012, 8:31 pm

Hi Jenny…I have Garlic Scapes ready to go..if you email me an address i will post you some

• Ali October 31, 2012, 9:31 pm

Jenny, this icecream looks fabulous!! Lets hope you can eat all that icecream in your freezer before summer comes around and you really need to make some room for more!

• msihua October 31, 2012, 9:48 pm

What a fabulous idea! And I love how they turned out so kiwi-ish (if you know what I mean!)

• Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad & Mixed Veg November 1, 2012, 8:26 pm

Very impressive. I never knew you could make sorbet in an icecream maker. And kiwi sorbet, that is very creative. I would love to try this.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 2, 2012, 2:25 am

Yes yes i think you should invite people over to help you eat it all :P you know I really WOULDN’T MIND helping you HAHAHA i’m gonna pester you until I get an INVITE wakakaka

I agree with Ms I-Hua it’s very kiwi-ish! Like as soon as you see it you know it has kiwi in it ;) I’m guilty need to use my ice-cream machine more!

• kitchenriffs November 2, 2012, 4:30 am

Great looking sorbet! Love the flavors. I have an ice cream maker that I don’t use very much, alas. And I actually prefer making sorbets than ice cream, so this recipe is right up my alley! Good stuff – thanks.

• Charles November 6, 2012, 9:10 am

You see, I was SO close to buying an ice-cream machine in the summer. Glad I didn’t now, although I think they are great, but like you – I wonder if I would just use it maybe 3 times and then stash it in a cupboard. Glad yours is getting use now though – and what a fantastic looking sorbet – beautiful colour!