Travel in China

It’s always difficult to travel to a foreign country when you don’t speak the same language. You might be able to flip open a guide book, a translator or even bring a friend who can help you but there are always a lot of unknowns. If you’re one who doesn’t like to take those risks, going with a tour group is the best option. In fact, it might be easier to go with a tour group even if you do speak the language. I’ve taken many a tour in my lifetime and most of them have been around China, my home country.

My family and I choose tours for a few reasons. Firstly, it takes away all the effort and time spent planning. Secondly, you can save a lot of money and time on finding accommodation and transportation. The biggest reward though in my opinion is meeting like minded people on the trip with similar travel ideals.

You can choose to go on a small group tour of China with travel sites which can provide carefully planned itineraries to cities in China. There are plenty of places that I haven’t been to yet, especially Tibet which might be difficult to go to by oneself for political and safety reasons. I’m also very interested in the culinary tourS that’s available since I’m such a glutton as well.

Apart from Shanghai and Beijing which I traveled to by myself, other cities around China such as Yunnan and Guilin I went with tour groups and I enjoyed myself immensely on all of them.

I also went on a tour with my family during my recent trip to China and saw me at my roots – Hunan. For those of you who know me, I was born in Shanghai but my dad is actually originally from Hunan. Hunan is such a beautiful place and is also one of the places where James Cameron’s Avatar was based on and filmed at. So you can imagine how pretty it was.

China is full of beautiful scenery and culture as you can see and I really do love sharing my experiences with you.

When I get a chance to sort through all of my photos from the trip, I will do a proper post next time but for now, here’s a few photos.

(Visited 58 times, 1 visits today)
  • Rosa April 20, 2013, 8:44 pm

Beautiful clicks! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today April 20, 2013, 9:49 pm

Amazing pictures, I miss Chima, I had a great time over there.

• yummychunklet April 21, 2013, 3:36 am

I love the night photos!

• Choc Chip Uru April 21, 2013, 7:34 am

Your photos are beautiful and really capture the essence of china 🙂

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• Gourmet Getaways April 21, 2013, 11:22 am

Such gorgeous gorgeous images!
    I like to take all sorts of holidays, package tours let you relax and enjoy your holiday without the usual co-ordinating concerns, whilst spontaneous holidays have their place too. I like to do both. Great story!

• john@kitchenriffs April 21, 2013, 1:34 pm

Great pictures! I’ve never been to China, and would dearly love to go someday. Joining a tour does make a lot of sense for all the reasons you outline. Although I’m a pretty intrepid traveler, I’d definitely consider a tour for a country that is to me so unfamiliar. Sounds like you had a wonderful time – thanks for sharing.

• Georgia April 22, 2013, 3:38 pm

Stunning photos (as always!). Looks like a fabulous trip!
    I personally don’t enjoy doing tours – having to spend time with other people annoys me…as does (believe it or not) the lack of planning required. For me, part of the joy of travelling is the investigation/planning stage, where you weigh up options with regard to what to do/where to stay. I get so much joy from that anticipation.
    Each to their own though. I can definitely see why some love it 🙂

• Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake April 23, 2013, 12:01 am

Oh I do totally agree with you there though Georgia. I absolutely LOVED planning for my Japan trips and loved the flexibility of being able to stay where I want to stay and eat what I want to eat and of course spending quality time with loved ones.

There’s just merit in doing both which I have experienced. 🙂

• Iron Chef Shellie April 24, 2013, 1:29 pm

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING photos girl! My parents just got back from China but I know there photos won’t compare to yours! Looks amazing. The language barrier gets me every time.

• Rocky Mountain Woman April 27, 2013, 2:07 am

great shots! what a beautiful place…

• LJ April 29, 2013, 5:34 pm

i have been to Tibet with xiao Tao recently!
    It’s really beautiful, unfortunately Chinese govement seems don’t like foreigner at all.
    It’s very hard for them to get the permission to go into Tibet.
    We took many pics but don’t know how to share with you easily.