Oats. According to Wikipedia “The oat…is a species of cereal grain grown for its seed…While oats are suitable for human consumption as oatmeal and rolled oats, one of the most common uses is as livestock feed.”
Livestock feed. That is exactly what Yuye says about oats.
“Oats are for horses. I don’t want to eat it!” Is what he says every time I suggest making something from oats. So without getting his approval, one day I decided to make one anyway.
It was a banana and blueberry breakfast smoothie using oats, goji berries and salted caramel.
Bananas and oats are very good as a source of energy so this breakfast smoothie will keep you well fed for a long time. Blueberries and goji berries on the other hand are well known superfoods so this smoothie is not only healthy but of course tastes great! The only downside to this smoothie is it doesn’t look all that pretty. I think it’s because I added goji berries which gave the smoothie a slightly murky brown colour. It’s definitely delicious though, that you have to trust me.
The proof was in Yuye’s response when he finally agreed to drink it.
“This tastes pretty good actually. It tastes a bit like chocolate, did you put chocolate in it?” And without another word, he finished a huge glass of it.
Although he did drink the smoothie and agreed it was tasty, I still have a long way to go before I can convince him oats are not just horse food.
Question time: Do you like to eat oats? Or do you agree with Yuye that oats are only good as livestock feed?
- 1 large banana broken into small pieces (or two small ones)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (more if you like)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp dried goji berries
- 1 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 2 tbsp salted caramel*
- Handful of ice cube**
- Soak goji berries in warm water for about 10 minutes or until soft, drain
- Soak oats in the milk for about 10 minutes***
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Pour smoothie into two glasses and serve immediately
- *If you don't have salted caramel handy, you can also use maple syrup or honey. I don't like my smoothies too sweet so the salted caramel worked well for me.
- **Can be omitted if you don't want your smoothie too cold
- ***You can also cook the oats as the package suggests and then put it in the blender. The taste and texture will be slightly different.