There’s one smell that I absolutely cannot resist and that’s freshly toasted nuts. That aromatic earthy smell gets me salivating and I just want to eat whole mouthfuls of whatever nut it is. That’s why I love buying raw nuts, so that I can toast the nuts myself.
Most people have obviously heard of peanut butter, being widely sold in supermarkets and used in classic recipes (and of course they’re just great on toast). But how many of you have heard of or had almond butter?
Originally I thought almond butter was some sort of almond flavoured dairy based butter like herb butters. Boy was I wrong. Almond butter is actually very easy to make and doesn’t need any other ingredients – just 100% almonds.
This delicious and rich chocolate mousse includes the almond butter and the recipe below will show you how to make it from scratch. At the time I only had raw almond slices but that worked just perfectly. This recipe actually doesn’t use any dairy products. Yup – no cream at all. So it’s a decadent but totally guilt free and healthy dessert!
Even though it’s so cold at the moment, this dessert is still great to eat, it definitely didn’t make me feel cold.
I know the photo shows only 1 portion but the recipe suggests it serves 2. That is because…I accidentally ate too much while I was making it! Yes I know…it was too hard to resist. At the start I was just testing it out, and then I thought I’d just take one mouthful…I also blame it on my old blender, half of it got stuck underneath the blades and I couldn’t dig it out. Ahem. Regardless, it was delicious and actually quite filling. If you find it too thick, you can add a bit of milk to thin it out.
This recipe originally appeared on Green Kitchen Stories which is a vegetarian blog that I love. I know, loving a vegetarian blog is not something I thought I’d be saying but their recipes and photos are just stunning. If you have time, pop over and check it out! I’ve also bought their cookbook but have yet to make something from it. Maybe soon. 🙂
- 2 large bananas
- 4-5 tbsp raw cocoa powder*
- 4 tbsp almond butter**
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and mousse like. Pour into serving cups or bowls. Garnish with extra pieces of banana or other fruit and nuts.
- *if you don't have raw cocoa powder, regular cocoa powder is fine
- **To make almond butter, you first toast the almonds in a pan (either whole or sliced) until lightly golden and aromatic. Then put them into a food processor and blitz until fine. Scoop the almond bits off the sides and blitz again. Repeat this process until the butter is smooth. You can keep the butter in an airtight jar for quite some time in the fridge.
- Instead of toasting your own nuts, you can also buy pre-toasted ones, but your kitchen won't smell as good. 😉 You can also use other nuts that's not almonds such as hazelnut, it will work just as well.
- If you find the mousse too thick, you can add some milk to it or if you like it thicker, just add a bit more almond butter.